Why Your Skin Needs Hydration
It’s no secret that water does the body good – especially when it comes to your complexion! Let’s take a look at why hydration is so important in maintaining a balanced, youthful glow and how it can be easily achieved with the right products and ingredients.
Why is hydration important?
Our bodies are made up of over 50% water which plays a major role in the appearance of our skin. While drinking water is an absolute must, applying topical products designed to attract moisture to the skin ensures skin cells receive all the hydration they need to keep our complexions looking plump, rejuvenated, and strong. Without it, we’d be more susceptible to inflammatory response and premature aging concerns.
Is dehydrated skin different than dry skin?
Yes! Dehydrated skin (just like when we’re dehydrated internally) means you’re in need of some water content. When your skin is dehydrated it feels more irritable and sensitive – often resulting in redness or that “tight” feeling when you’ve over-cleansed. On the other hand, dry skin is a result of lack of moisture or oil and can appear as flakininess or dry patches. To learn more about the differences, head over to our Hydration vs Moisture blog.
How does skin become dehydrated?
Skin dehydration can come about a few different ways. Sometimes it’s the climate we live in (aka super dry or hot), increased exposure to sun or environmental stressors like pollution, or not using the right products in our daily skincare routine. One of the most common “oops” moments is over-cleansing or not balancing out active treatments like acids and retinols with a good hydrator. Just remember, even if you’re oily or combo, you still need hydration – it’s just about finding the right product for your unique skin needs.
What are the best hydrating ingredients?
We have a few favorites but here’s a little trick when you’re doing your hydration research: look for the word humectant. These are ingredients that draw moisture from the air to your skin.
- Hyaluronic Acid – a powerful humectant that can hold up to 1,000x its weight in water. It doesn’t just hydrate and boost moisture retention, it also helps plump the look of lines.Fun fact: Hyaluronic Acid is naturally found in our bodies and is easily recognized when applied topically.
- Glycerin – a skin barrier-supportive compound that boosts moisture levels and improves the appearance of uneven skin tone and texture.
- AHAs & PHAs – you might just think they’re used for exfoliation and brightening but they also have great hydrating benefits. They also help clear away surface buildup so you can receive maximum hydration support.
- Honey – in addition to boosting hydration and attracting water to the skin, Honey is naturally antibacterial and anti-microbial making it an amazing ingredient for soothing compromised skin barriers and visibly red complexions.
What Karuna products should I use to properly hydrate?
Daily hydration is essential but so is a weekly boost when you need some extra support. Check out our glow-to’s:
- Balancing Cleanser – Packed with Hyaluronic Acid and Snow Mushroom, skin is left hydrated, clean and refreshed from the very first step in your routine.
- All Day Everyday Serum – A combination of Coconut Water and Probiotics balance skin while visibly firming and plumping.
Supercharged Sheet Mask Solutions
- Hydrating+ Face Mask – A combination of Hyaluronic Acid, Aloe Vera and Peptides maximize moisture retention for glowing skin that’s balanced and rejuvenated.
- Quench Bio-Cellulose Mask – Two forms of Hyaluronic Acid improve hydration by attracting water deep into the skin while Black Truffle increases retention.
What are some of your favorite ways to hydrate your skin? Let us know below or tag us on Instagram @karunaskin to share your thoughts – we love hearing from you!