Guide to Beating Winter Skin
We bet you’re thinking: is Winter Skin really a thing? YES, it is and while it can appear differently on a person-by-person basis, one thing we can all agree on is that it’s not something we want getting in the way of our seasonal plans. Fortunately, your friends at Karuna Skin are here to help explain what it is and offer some guidance on how to best send it packing just in time for the holidays.
What is Winter Skin?
Put simply, Winter Skin is a series of skin concerns we fast most in the traditionally colder, drier winter months leading up to the Holiday Season. It can appear as exaggerated concerns that may pop up periodically throughout the year based on our skin types or new concerns that seemingly appear out of nowhere. While everyone’s skin is unique, Winter Skin is something that we’re all susceptible to if not taking a look at our complexion’s needs and current skincare routine accordingly.
What does Winter Skin look like?
There’s no one-size-fits-all but some of the most common indicators of Winter Skin concerns can be:
- Dry patches, chapping & flakey skin
- Feeling of tightness or skin dehydration
- Increased sensitivity and irritability
- Visible redness
- Dullness and loss of radiance
What causes Winter Skin?
Just as the name suggests, changes in weather, temperature, and lifestyle habits during winter months are the biggest causes of Winter Skin. As the air cools and the humidity levels lower, it zaps away moisture from the skin while increased exposure to moisture (aka snow) can also have a damaging effect, causing the skin to chap as the water continues to evaporate on its surface. Winter Skin can also be impacted by not adjusting our current skincare routine accordingly to accommodate these new needs or by continuing to run our heaters indoors which can dehydrate and irritate already sensitive complexions. In summary, when seasons change, so do our skin concerns and needs!
How Can I Beat Winter Skin?
Some quick fixes can make some dramatic differences! Staying hydrated internally does wonders as does balancing out how frequently you’re bombarding skin with drastic cold and heat exposure (that includes sitting too close to those desktop space heaters!) but the easiest way to address Winter Skin is by taking a look at the concerns you’re experiencing and catering your daily skincare routine to it! Check out some of these product-by-concern recommendations to get your complexion back to a glowing, healthy-looking state.
- Bring on the moisture! Products intended to lock-in the nourishment like Avocado Oil, Peptides and Shea Butter are an easy go-to for combatting dryness.
- Try: Multi-Tasking Face Oil, Lights Out Cream and Sleeping Mask
- BONUS: Winter Skin doesn’t just affect the face. If you’re seeing dryness on your hands and feet, use our Hydrating+ Hand Mask and Exfoliating+ Foot Mask at least once per week.
- Skin is dehydrated and needs some hydration. Humectants like Hyaluronic Acid, Aloe Vera and Glycerin will get a parched, compromised skin barrier back in check.
- Try: Hydrating+ Face Mask, Quench Bio-Cellulose Mask and All Day Everyday Serum
- Soothing antioxidants and naturally anti-inflammatory ingredients like Niacinamide, Prickly Pear and Green Tea Extract will get you back to a calm, collected state.
- Try: Cleansing Oil, Tone Sheet Mask and Anti-Oxidant+ Face Mask
- Gentle exfoliation and refinement are key here! AHAs (Lactic & Glycolic Acid), BHA (Salicylic Acid) and gentle fruit enzymes polish and brighten skin without stripping moisture.
- Try: Radiance Toner, Illuminate Face Oil and Exfoliating+ Face Mask
While Winter Skin may be a bummer, you CAN beat it this Winter with a few easy adjustments to your routine. Not sure how to build one? Check out our Routines 101 blog today.
Have a favorite Winter Skin hack? Share it down below or tag us on Instagram @karunaskin – we love hearing from you!
Written by Ryan Nelson